The National Shrine of Saint Joseph

 

DePere, WI

The National Shrine of Saint Joseph is located in DePere WI, a few miles from the city of Green Bay. The Shrine is in the care of the Norbertine Order, and is housed at St. Norbert Abbey, DePere, WI.

The Shrine was originally located at St. Joseph Church in DePere, WI. In the late 1800s, inspired by a deep devotion to the foster-father of Jesus Christ, then-Pastor Father Joseph Durin began work to have a statue of St. Joseph crowned and declared a national shrine. In 1891, Father Durin, supported by more than 30 bishops and thousands of lay people, embarked on a quest to present his petition for a national shrine to the Vatican for official approval. Father Durinís efforts were rewarded, and in 1892 Pope Leo XIII officially recognized the statue as a National Shrine. The Most Reverend Sebastian Gebhard Messmer, D.D., D.C.L, then-Bishop of Green Bay, presided over the coronation of the statue. St. Joseph was presented with a flat (mural) crown, while the Christ Child in his arms wears an imperial crown.

The shrine moved to the care of the Norbertines in 1959. A perpetual novena to St. Joseph, started by Father Durin in 1888 and continuing to this day, is held every Wednesday at 3:15 p.m.

  
 tn_stjshrine3.jpg     

 

 

 

National Shrine of St. Joseph at St. Norbert Abbey
1016 N. Broadway, De Pere, WI 54115

 

                      

                                 

 

 

Shrine of Saint Joseph

 

Old Saint Joseph Church

 

 
   
Home